5-Bay iSCSI SAN Enclosure, 4x1GbE
iSCSI for IP Networks
SAN has been traditionally reserved for Fibre Channel networks until the recent introduction of iSCSI extended this powerful yet simple centralized backend storage system to IP networks. By utilizing existing Ethernet technology, the cost associated with separate host bus adapters and the cost per Gigabyte of stored data is significantly reduced.
iSCSI SANs can leverage the Ethernet infrastructure and standards that are already familiar to your IT staff.
System-on-a-Chip (SoC) implementation
By utilising a SoC design, the DSN-1100 combines both networking and storage functions into a single specialised Application Specific Integrated Circuit (ASIC).
The SoC solution combines 10 Gbps iSCSI, TCP & IP offload, embedded processors, and storage virtualization firmware onto a single chip. The tight integration of these functions eliminates interoperability, timing, and support
issues found in competitive products that offer “discrete implementation” wherein all the various components are chosen separately and then assembled. The DSN-1100 outperforms these discrete implementations and does so at a lower price point, while delivering mission-critical data quickly with state-of-the-art reliability.
RAID for Efficiency
The DSN-1100 features five hot swappable Serial ATA (SATA) disk drive bays supporting 5TB raw capacity using 1TB hard drives (and even higher capacity hard drives as they are introduced) in RAID level 0, 1, 1+0 and
5 configurations. You can quickly deploy a SAN using inexpensive SATA disk drives and, depending on your growing storage needs, you can simply add more drives as you go.
Embedded Centralized Storage Management
The embedded, user-friendly IP-SAN Device Manager (IDM) provides comprehensive network storage management.
Four Gigabit interfaces
The DSN-1100 implements four Gigabit Ethernet ports that support IEEE 802.3ad Link Aggregation for full offload capability. This allows all four ports to be grouped together for up to 425MB/s bandwidth, increasing throughput and redundancy.
Advanced Management Features
The DSN-1100 provides additional advanced features for efficient management of network storage and optimal performance:
- For the fastest RAID performance offered in the industry, the D-Link adaptive cache management provides write coalescing and multi-stream read-ahead on a volume basis, optimising cache utilisation and performance in an application-dependent manner. Volatile cache data protection is afforded via an on-board battery that is designed to back up to 1GB of cached memory for at least 72 hours.
- VLAN Zoning supports IEEE 802.1Q VLAN tagging to segregate traffic into isolated zones for secure access and jumbo frames, improving network throughput and reducing CPU overhead.
- Volume virtualisation utilizes the concept of storage Extents. Extents are the fundamental building blocks used to enable features such as RAID, online capacity expansion and volume migration. Drives of dissimilar size can be used to create volumes. Growth can occur without volume migration or reconstruction. Single drives can contain multiple and divergent RAID technologies.
- RAID Support for RAID Levels 0, 1, 1+0 and 5 (striped sets, mirrored sets, striped mirrored sets, and parity sets) allows for different storage options.
- Online Capacity Expansion and RAID Level Migration are performed online with minimal impact on users. For example, a mirror volume of two drives can easily be converted to a parity volume of three or more drives while users continue to access this storage.
- Micro Rebuilds provide protection against unresponsive SATA commands by forcing a response within a preset time limit.
D-Link 5-Bay iSCSI SAN Enclosure, 4x1GbE. Supported storage drive types: HDD, Storage drive interface: Serial ATA II, Storage drive size: 3.5". RAM capacity: 0.25 GB. Ethernet LAN data rates: 10,100,1000 Mbit/s, Bandwidth: 0.425 Gbit/s. Chassis type: Tower, Cooling type: Active, Colour of product: Black. Type: Storage server, Device class: Home & Home Office